[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Sun Jun 5 10:09:55 CDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 02:36:13PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:

> The almighty dollar trumps mere pride. If Intel had pride in their
> work, they'd not be churning out the crufty but profitable x86 chips
> out by the millions.

The x86 architecture is a millstone around Intel's neck and they know it.

They have tried TWICE to get away from it, first with the 860/960
series chips, then with Itanium; both times they pretty much failed.

I think they have pretty much given up on the idea and instead are
trying to add somewhat proprietary extensions to x86 in order to have
lock-in.

--Patrick