[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Sun Jun 5 03:21:00 CDT 2005

On Jun 3, 2005, at 20:29, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> Apple Computer plans to announce Monday that it's scrapping its
> partnership with IBM and switching its computers to Intel's
> microprocessors, CNET News.com has learned.

Was thinking about this, and y'know, it says that Apple was in talks
with Intel. If this bit is true, that doesn't mean that Apple is
going to use x86 for anything at all, or Intel for its desktops and
laptops. Intel *does* make embedded-use processors - perhaps Apple
will announce a new Newton? Or perhaps there will be an Intel
processor in an Apple phone or iPod.

Alternatively, perhaps Intel is going to manufacturing the PPC chips
for the desktop macs? Or perhaps Intel will manufacture a 64 bit x86
processor that supports PPC instructions, or an entirely new RISC
processor or something.

Also, noticed this:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/pavelmachek/7323.html
 > Smelling x86-64 Macs...
 > I fell from a horse today... that's not strange. Twice... well
that had
 > to happen someday. But then something strange happened: Apple offered
 > me a job. Seeking ACPI & BIOS person, guess what that means :-).
Pavel is a Linux developer who has worked heavily with ACPI.

Meh, so I'm bored at 3am and I want to speculate on an oft-repeated
Apple rumor.