[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Sun Jun 5 01:14:32 CDT 2005

On Jun 5, 2005, at 00:21, Andrew Weiss wrote:

> I don't think Apple would make crippled/locked-in PeeCees either.
> You may argue that doing away with the legacy stuff is good (which it
> is)... but the market won't accept it... it'd be doing everything
> people who complain about Apple complain about... making a piece of
> open-hardware proprietary.

I didn't get the impression that Apple would be going Intel in order
to make Windows-compatible machines. Why would they care about that?
They already sell completely Windows-incompatible stuff, and why does
the world need another Dell/HP/Compaq/Gateway/... anyway?

If they're doing it at all, wouldn't it be for stock reasons, or
price reasons? (heh, since it apparently isn't about the performance).

> People will look at that and say why
> should I pay more for the same piece of equipment when I can get a
> much more flexible machine for cheap somewhere else.

People -already- say that about Macs ;).

  - Micah