[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 10:59:13 CDT 2005

On 6/2/05, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> Juat similar non-sucking report for Solaris 10 on an Ultra 5 400 MHz with 1
> Gig RAM and 120 Gig 7200 RPM IDE drive. I prefer SCSI boxes myself, but
this
> is a very usable desktop machine, esp. with PGX24 video...
>
> Nadine, FYI, this is what I ran at TCF this spring - you mentioned it was
> quite reasonable, IIRC ;^)

I'd still prefer a dual CPU U2, though, with SCSI. Call me old
skool.  It must have been that load of 42 on the U2 mail server
I had back in $network_juggernaut days and the U2 didn't crash.

My issue with the Blade 100 is the result of the conspiracy of
slowness--stock 5400 (or less?) IDE drive + 128MB RAM +
the low-grade on-board graphics.  Of those, the graphics are
the least of the problems from what I can tell.  It's completely
useable with Gentoo and a lightweight WM like xfce or fluxbox,
but I wouldn't even consider cranking up a browser.

I am more than tempted, after I get Tiger installed on my PB,
to just start toting it back and forth to work.  If I can get
Mail.app to work with the Exchange servers here as the Tiger
marketing spiel claims...

=Nadine=