[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 2 22:24:52 CDT 2005

>From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at mail.zill.net>
>Date: Thu Jun 02 12:45:20 CDT 2005
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

>Oddly however, my U5 with Solaris 9 runs OK but not great - but with a
>120GB 7200rpm IDE drive, get about 9MB/second with it; but seeking is
>definitely not as good.

Juat similar non-sucking report for Solaris 10 on an Ultra 5 400 MHz with 1
Gig RAM and 120 Gig 7200 RPM IDE drive. I prefer SCSI boxes myself, but this
is a very usable desktop machine, esp. with PGX24 video...

Nadine, FYI, this is what I ran at TCF this spring - you mentioned it was
quite reasonable, IIRC ;^)