[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 14:20:42 CDT 2005

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 12:25:32 -0400, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:
> At 11:01 AM 6/2/2005, you wrote:
> > > http://www.wasabisystems.com/gpl/linux.htm
> >
> >Well, it claims to be technical but is mostly religious. There are
> >several good technical points but it lacks neutrality in a big way.

It doesn't help that in a few technical points it is wrong. Linux does
have a kernel debugger, and can generate crash dumps. These aren't in
the standard kernel source but are readily available and if I can patch
them in, then certainly someone who cares about a kernel debugger
could*. Just for the record, SuSE comes with the crash dump patch
included (at least with SLES8 and SLES9).

Similarly the claim that many Linux device drivers need to be provided
hardware information to get the device to work doesn't match my
experience. Undoubtedly there are some, and it may be that they tend to
show up more in the embedded world.

(*: The idea of using a kernel debugger on a production system to
diagnose problems is an interesting possibility, but in practice you
just don't get the chance to play at that level)

> Of course it's not neutral. It's pro-BSD in general, pro-netBSD in
> particular. They found a solution that fits their needs and they're
> explaining why they like it so well. At least, that's what I got out
> of  that article.

No harm in that, and I can see why they like it. But
spreading disinformation isn't the best way of making your case.