[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Thu Jun 2 11:36:07 CDT 2005

> I am using gentoo on my Sun Blade 100.  I tried a couple of
> other things (*BSDs, which were my first choice), but there
> are some little gotchas with various distros with hardware
> that I couldn't work around (work box, not sinking $ into it).

If I understand Gentoo, it's 100% compiled-in-place. Compiling anything
on a U5 is an exercise in frustration due to the IDE disk system and
slowness. A lot of people dedicated to using U5/U10's install a SCSI
card and SCSI disk. I've heard good things about that conversion.

----
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand
binary and those who don't.