[rescue] sun UltraEngine AXe questions..

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 2 06:54:53 CDT 2005

>From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
>Date: Wed Jun 01 00:22:46 CDT 2005
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] sun UltraEngine AXe questions..

>On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 11:52:56PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> I've just gotten my AXe (motherboard in a minitower case) running,seems
nice,
>> but installing O/S took forever, not quite sure why...
>
>Tiny L2 cache and ATA33 IDE. :)

While I realize size DOES matter, I find it hard to believe that the cache
size could influence an OS install so much - it should be mainly dumping files
from the CD onto the HD (I would think)...

The IDE on the AXe is the same as on Ultra 5 and 10, so that shouldn't be a
factor, but then again, I can't recall how long the install of Solaris 10 on
an Ultra 10 took the last time I did this... Hmmm.

On a related topic, anyone have ideas on the fan sensors on the AXe? While in
the OpenBoot it complains about the case and system fans, both of which would
be case-mounted. Can I turn off the check for the fans, or how would I go
about getting proper fans for the case? (Are they standard parts? What is
known to work?)

Thanks,

Lionel