[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Thu Jun 2 04:48:16 CDT 2005

>  Unfortunately, I haven't been keeping track of what works well for
> old 64-bit processors nowdays.  My first instinct was slackware, but
> apparently their support for 64-bit processors suck.  Would gentoo be
> worth it for such an old computer, or can anyone testify reliability
> for any other distro?  I generally want to stay away from redhat and
> its derivatives because I want to tinker around with my box.

I can say Debian (sarge & sid) runs well on my U5 (*). For one computer
that has enought idle time and is not missioncritical, gentoo would
probably work quite well too - they are well alive.

(*) But Debian has working package management too and the best results
are achieved when you play along with the package management - nothing
handcompiled in /usr (only /usr/local), no dependency forcing etc.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)