[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

Paul Mantz angelixd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 04:38:07 CDT 2005

   Hi, I just got a couple of old ultrasparc 5's from the math
department of my school, and I'm all happy and giddy and confused with
what I should do with them.  Considering that I have two, there's no
reason to have them mirror each other, so I was thinking of putting
Solaris 10 on one of them and some breed of linux on the other.

  Unfortunately, I haven't been keeping track of what works well for
old 64-bit processors nowdays.  My first instinct was slackware, but
apparently their support for 64-bit processors suck.  Would gentoo be
worth it for such an old computer, or can anyone testify reliability
for any other distro?  I generally want to stay away from redhat and
its derivatives because I want to tinker around with my box.

  Also, I know nothing about the kind of wonky keyboard connection
that it seems to be employing.  What is that standard called, and are
there KVMs readily available for it?  I would prefer that than having
to set up two 17" monitors in my apartment!

Thanks,
Paul Mantz