[rescue] 18 gigers in an Ultra 2? Ultra 1 ????

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Wed Jun 1 17:26:07 CDT 2005

Paxton wrote:
> A surprise came today. I got 3 sun drives today from a cheap ebay
> puurchase. It was supposed to be a 4.2 and 2 9 gig drives for my U1
> and U2. What showed up were 3 X5237A 18 gig 10K drives, 1 IBM & 2
> Fujitsu.
>
> I think these can be used in the U2 but can they be used in the U1??
> They don't show up on the Sunsolve list of supported drives for
> either of these boxes.
>
> Any tricks in formatting them?

18GB drives work fine in a U1 (have a 18GB drive in one of my U1s). It's
not their capacity so much as the heat they generate that you need to
worry about.

I wouldn't put 15k RPM drives in, but 10k RPM should be fine and 7200
RPM will definitely be fine.

My experience is that they Just Work.

--

Phil Brutsche