[rescue] [Slightly OT]: Desk/Tables for multiple computers

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Wed Jul 20 18:32:27 CDT 2005

   On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 sirloxelroy at softhome.net wrote:

> As far as Keyboard Trays, I don't like them either, I am
> 6'4" and most just dig into my legs.  :-)

   The best thing about keyboard trays is that they let you arrange
multiple keyboards in much the same manner that organ keyboards are
laid out.  The better ones have mouse-pads, too, so you can "stack"
mice as well as 'boards.  If you're tall, you can always put stuff
under the legs of your desk (I, too, am 6'4" -- been there, done
that).

   This arrangement sent the Corporate Ergonomics Officer (we used
to call him "Captain EO") into conniption fits and caused much
yelling (Hey, it was back in the Dot-Comics era), and eventually
the stink would die down and I'd get back to work.  It's actually
kind of nice to have six systems in one's cube with four completely
incompatible keyboard/mouse configurations -- it makes one rather
"resourceful" of how one uses space.

> >> The other one that bothers me is walls that are just high enough to
> >> be in the way, but too short to offer you any reason for them to be
> >> there.  I think 4-5 foot walls should be banned.

   I upset folks because I can look _over_ a six-foot cube-wall.
It really bothers them.  I can rest my chin on one that's 5'10".

   I agree that cubes should be banned.  Condemned criminals get more
space than most cubes afford.