[rescue] Of SPARCbooks, screens, and heat

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Mon Jul 18 07:57:17 CDT 2005

At 07:22 AM 7/18/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>   On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>
>   ...and is replying to himself.  (He talks to himself, too, but
>that's neither here nor there.)
>

>>    So -- Do SPARCbook screens hate heat?
>   Is this just a fluke, or have other folks seen issues with the
>LCD screens in SPARCbooks when the temperatures exceed about 80

I don't know about sparcbook screens, but I do know that older LCD screens
in various other devices (old macintosh equipment in particular, and one
old toshiba portable).  They don't like it hot at all.  I haven't seen
vertical lines, but I have seen black blotches after being left in a closed
vehicle in direct sunlight.  Sort of looked, well, the best word for it was
cooked, as in like an egg in a pan.  Irregular blotches, almost like the
screen had been smashed by something very hard, and the only fix was
replacement of the LCD.

Most electronics of the solid state variety has a limited tolerance for
heat, and it might be that the LCD panels in older gear have some greater
susceptibility to it, more than a more modern device.

I'd play it safe and try not to expose the thing to that high a temp if at
all possible.  They're getting a tad scarce, seems to me, and replacements
are going to be expensive and hard to find.

--
wes will