[rescue] Sun crushes the used Sun market

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Jul 4 12:24:41 CDT 2005

Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
[...]
> I wonder if one of those 5-bay SATA RAIDs would fit? They slide into
> a pair of half-height bays.

I've been speccing out and buying these recently for a BFO fileserver
for $ORK. To help your googling, those things are apparently called
"mobile racks".

The five drive units actually take *three* 5.25" bays. It's the three
drive units that fit in two 5.25" bays. They're generally available in
both SATA and SCA as the carriers are mechanically similar.

The SCA units are a lot easier to wire up as you just have the two
Molex power sockets plus the 68 bin SCSI cable. In contrast, the SATA
units have the two power sockets, five SATA cables, plus five
individual loose conductors which lead back to the five separate LED
outputs on the controller.

It's even more entertaining if you're trying to squeeze two of those
things into a 4U case along with a couple of DVD burners. I'm
impressed that it's still reasonably tidy inside (I *heart* cable
ties) and I could get the lid on afterwards.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key

Please contribute to the beer fund and a tidier house:
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZpndc