[rescue] Details on "Free Ultra 20" program

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 1 16:06:21 CDT 2005

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 11:44:41 -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> What makes you certain that the various Opterons aren't endangering
> the SPARC line?  I fail see to how increasing Opteron sales can do
> anything but endanger the SPARC line.

I doubt that the SPARC line will be endangered until there's an opteron
server as large as the 25K or the PRIMEpower2500. I don't doubt they're
planning something along those lines, but they're probably working
harder on getting the SPARC64 into a Sun designed machine.

They could have named the Ultra20 something different though; not only
was there one previously, but all Ultra's have UltraSPARCs. What was
wrong with something like "the Optimum 20" ?