[rescue] Anyone have Syquest 3.5" SCSI drive + disksyadon't want?

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed Jan 26 12:06:26 CST 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:41:50PM -0500, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
>> True enough.  Just that you can still walk into any computer store and
>> buy your Zip stuff there. =)
>> I think I saw a Zip 750 at Fry's this weekend.
>
> Hah! All the modern drives are IDE though... I saw the 750 I think on
> feeBay once and was shocked.

True.

> Years ago when I worked at an ISP (~95) quite a few of the tech
> support people (including myself) picked up zip drives. Broadband was
> just rumors, and with a DS3 terminating in the building one couldn't
> help but fill zip disks at work and tote them home.

Yeah, that's why I bought my first one.

I think that's what I got at least one distribution of NetBSD home on.

> I've heard a scsi zip drive is faster than the early scsi drives
> installed in Amiga 2000s and such.

My first Zip drive was hooked up to my Amiga 2000.  Had to get a new
SCSI controller, the a2090 couldn't use it, had to get a 2091.  The Zips
were all larger than either of my existing drives.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org