[rescue] hard drives for sparc10?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Jan 20 05:16:03 CST 2005

Patrick Finnegan  <pat at computer-refuge.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 January 2005 11:17, Peter Corlett wrote:
[...]
>> And your beloved SCSI disks are any different?
> If nothing else, they're price is much higher for the same amount of
> storage. Usually (not always) that means that they don't cut as many
> corners on making them cost less to produce.

"They're"[0] price is higher because there's a much smaller volume of
them being made, which means that production costs per unit are
higher. Also, there is a perceived (and partly deserved) improved
quality with SCSI which allows the manufacturer to ask a higher
premium. However, there are also IDE drives that are sold and priced
as premium products.

While I'm rather a fan of SCSI and rather dislike the kludgy AT-IDE
interface, it doesn't mean I can't be pragmatic about such things.
Ultimately, I consider disks in desktop machines to be consumables,
and so buy the cheapest I can get. For servers, it depends.

I note that despite the "unreliable2 nature of IDE disks, they're
virtually all still going strong after many years, with the notable
exception of Maxtor whose drives have rather less than stellar
performance and reliability (at least with the 30GB, 60GB and 80GB
units I've used.) I wonder if Maxtor's SCSI drives also suck...

FWIW, I use SCSI for the data I really care about.

[0] Hint, use a dictionary.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key