[rescue] Seeking thinkpad 240C..

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Wed Jan 5 10:54:01 CST 2005

> From: Ethan O'Toole
>
> I have a large number of friends now with iBooks and Powerbooks and
> TiBooks. The few that have had problems, the problems were severe. The
> most badly burned was the person who paid $3k for a tibook. He got all the
> warranties, it didn't help much.

Mine went back to the mothership twice. First time it started kernel
panicking at boot-up even when booting from CD-ROM. If it would run, it
wouldn't run very long.

Called Apple and described the problems and the troubleshooting I'd done.
Tech agreed I'd tried all the right things and it needed to come in to them.
This was at noon on a Tuesday.

At 4:00 pm DHL showed up at my house (working at home that day) with a box
and waited to pick up the machine. My machine was delivered back to my
office approx. 36 hours later (Thurs a.m.) with a new logic board. No cost
to me, other than the time without the machine.

About 2 months later, my screen developed some white discoloration in a
horizontal line down the middle. Not "the" white screen problem that the Al
books had, but similar. No functional problems, just looked funny. I brought
it into the Mall of America Apple Store and showed it to a Genius:

"Dude- you need to get that screen replaced. When do you want to send it
in?"

"How about now?"

"OK".

That trip took three days, but I got a brand new screen. No cost. After
that, I was a little gunshy, so I bought AppleCare. Of course the machine
has run like a charm ever since.

I've had other friends and acquaintances relate similar experiences. So-
maybe Apple has treated some folks poorly, but they get an A+ in my book for
service.

YMMV,

Steve