[rescue] NetBSD on old (non-OSX capable) PowerBooks?

Jeffrey J. Nonken jjn_rescue at nonken.net
Thu Dec 22 17:48:10 CST 2005

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:28:45 -0600 (CST)
"Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 wrote:
>
> > would like to hear of your experience(s) with running NetBSD or
> > other free Unix-a-likes on non-OSX PowerBooks like the 5300 and
> > 3400c series...
>
> I seem to recall the 5300 being Strange (ie: NuBus internally or some
> crap) apart from being slow as a very slow thing, so it might not be
> the best choice for such an endeavour.  I've not tried NetBSD on a
> 3400c, but I had reasonablei[0] luck running it on a PM7300.
>

> [0] Some Forth/OFW hacking is required due to firmware bugs and
> general Mac brain damage.

http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/index.shtml

Doesn't seem to be a 5300, unless it was in a different product line.
6300 yes, 5400 yes. In any case that site has a lot of good information
about the various models and will give you a good idea of what's worth
the effort.

believed to be clean.