[rescue] IO board+ on e5000

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 18:11:47 CST 2005

On 12/15/05, Chris Anderson <christop at charm.net> wrote:
> Francois Dion wrote:
> ># prtconf -V
> >OBP 3.2.28 2000/12/20 12:24
> >
> >also 'POST  3.9.28 2000/12/20 12:29'
> >
> >I dont know if all the boards are all compliant or what. Using both
> > boards at the same time is possible?
> >

> Should be.  In a E4000, I've had older IO boards running with 4883, and
> cpu boards 4882, 4312, 2976 in first slot, clock boards 2975 (prom
> updated) and 4346.  OBP was 3.2.29 (maybe 28 as well, don't remember),
> is now 3.2.30.
>
> The E4000 with the 2975 doesn't run 250 cpus, only 167 and 335.  It
> boots ok then hangs when clock speed is boosted.

Alright, armed with this info (mixing different io boards and all)
with my e5000 still up and running, I added a SOC+sbus board in slot3
(that's second from the top at the back of the exx00 series, with a
sbus-dual in slot 1.

Orange light as soon as I inserted the SOC+sbus. Ok, so I go back on
the xterm and cfgadm shows the board:
.
.
.
sysctrl0:slot3                 soc+sbus     disconnected unconfigured unknown

Alright, let's connect it:
# cfgadm -f -c connect sysctrl0:slot3
system will be temporarily suspended to connect a board: proceed (yes/no)?
yes
# cfgadm
.
.
.
sysctrl0:slot3                 soc+sbus     connected    unconfigured ok

Board is good.

# cfgadm -f -c configure sysctrl0:slot3
# cfgadm
.
.
.
sysctrl0:slot3                 soc+sbus     connected    configured   ok

And to recap:
clock board: 501-4286
sbus+dual IO board in slot 1: 501-4287
soc+sbus in slot 3: 501-4883
cpu/mem boards are a mix of 501-4882 and 501-4312 boards with  the 250MHz
procs.
and I believe the centerplane is a 501-2978

So how do I get the 501-4883 to replace the 501-4287, that is the question...

I'm open to other suggestions.

Francois