[rescue] IO board+ on e5000

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Dec 15 13:51:01 CST 2005

On Thursday 15 December 2005 09:26, Francois Dion wrote:
> If I put a 501-4883 io board with soc+ in my e5000, does that require
> that I have a specific clock board, or cpu/mem version (does it have
> to be the 4882)?

Shouldn't matter.

> So on and so forth for all my cpu/mem boards. These CPU/MEM boards
> are of the 83mhz variety, altough I have some on their way that I
> will swap (to get to 100mhz).

You can't do 100MHz system bus speed in an E4000/E5000 - only the E3x00
and E4500/5500.  They'll just run at 83MHz.

> Or do I have a dead IO+ board?

Probably.  I've got a few extras (and some SBUS soc+ cards).

Have you tried reflashing the system first?  It's possible that the
problem has a too-old OBP/POST version or something.  One of the notes
in the Sun system handbook says this:
"OBP >=3.2v14 is required when 83MHz and 100MHz boards are mixed."

So, I'd recommend flashing the system with the old I/O boar in the
machine, and then try the soc+ board again.

Pat