[rescue] product quality (was: ham gear)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Dec 6 10:50:42 CST 2005

Mon, 05 Dec 2005 @ 15:09 -0500, Bryan Gurney said:

*Please* don't top post, especially without doing any trimming.

> Umm, WHOA. I cracked up at "DBA Barbie", but the fact that this
> application is making use of Oracle, DB2, and Microsoft SQL is very
> very scary. Most projects I've heard of in some form or another (press
> release, job posting, etc.) make use of one RDBMS and stick to it. Now
> my SQL experience ends at "SELECT * FROM x WHERE y=(something)", but
> this is mind-boggling for me.

Your are correct. All SQL servers have their problems, but usually
running a mix of them is a mess. Sometimes you can't help it, but if
possible it is usually better to learn how to run a small number very
well, rather than have a hodge podge of different servers.

Backups, conversion, recovery... everything gets much harder when you
start using several.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["We are all of us in the gutter, some of us
looking at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde]