[rescue] ham gear

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 21:07:04 CST 2005

On 12/4/05, Peter Porter <peter at brightavenue.com> wrote:
> I've come to agree with this very much.  COTS software is inevitably
> inadequate, too bulky, *WAY* too expensive (read: Kofax) for the
> features most projects seem to end up using (read: one or two), and in
> my ever so humble opinion... "integrating" software is always a messy,
> lousy proposition.  I'd never want to depend on that for any project I'm
> responsible for.

Google is the ultimate example of success in the marketplace as a
result of doing just this.  If you have too much COTS on your resume
(at least as far as IT folk go), forget being considered.  They want
those that prefer to roll their own (not just can).

> The real problem, in my experience, is an inability of those in charge
> to manage, make tough decisions, and demand quality from their entire
> team.  Settling for lousy performance and a lousy product is... well...
> lousy.  I thought our country was built on people determined to make the
> most of technology, to push it to new limits, and to work as hard as
> they could.  Not bottom of the barrel, unmotivated bums.  Where's the
> dedication to our work?

I cannot begin to tell you how much I agree with this.

=Nadine=