[rescue] 711 disk problems

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu Aug 11 11:44:57 CDT 2005

I seek the wisdom of the Collective.

I bought a second 711 recently (right here), and replaced my RAID0 array
across six 9G disks with a RAID5 array across twelve 36G disks.  It's
run fine for a week or two, then I had a disk fail yesterday; I replaced
it, and the replacement failed before it finished resyncing.  This is in
the 711 I've had for about five years, and I've never previously had a
disk fail in that slot, which seems to argue against a bad slot.

Anyone have any speculation here *other than* I just got dead unlucky
and got two defective disks in a row?  I'm figuring that's the
explanation, considering these are reconditioned disks, but if there's
another possibility, I'd like to hear it.

The disks are IBM Ultrastar 36XP SCA2 disks, model number DRHS-36D.

 Phil Stracchino       phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Mobile: 603-216-7037         Landline: 603-886-3518