[rescue] SS1000E CPU question...

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Sat Apr 30 13:17:13 CDT 2005

On Apr 30, 2005, at 1:01 PM, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> On Saturday 30 April 2005 12:24, Mike Hebel wrote:
>> When they say two CPU "modules" per board do they mean two SM51/61/71
>> boards or one of the dual-cpu style cards?
>
> Two separate MBUS modules (like the SM51).  As far as Sun is concerned,
> you can't use double-CPU modules, or Hypersparcs in an SS[12]000(E).
> That mostly has to do with its use of the XDBUS; the bus presented to
> the CPU isn't MBUS, but it's handled just fine by Sun CPUs that have an
> MXCC on them.

According to the guide to MBUS off of Sunhelp SM61s will work and I
have a couple of those around somewhere.
That means that I can put two SM61 modules per motherboard in there.
That makes sense with other things I've heard - like the 8 cpu maximum
on this system.

> That being said, I've never tried something like an SM512; it might
> work. And. if it does, it'll probably end up creating too much heat.

This thing is going to be my home webserver and other things so speed
isn't that much of an issue.  I just want to max it out because I'm a
geek.  ^_^

As it is I figured out that since I only have one drive tray I can run
a mirror of two 73Gig drives for data without having cooling issues.
(As well as the OS drive in the 5.25" bay.)

Although my electric bill will most likely jump $50 as soon as I turn
it on... :-/

Mike Hebel
----
"Without balance and constant growth the only option is to degrade.
There is no other solution." - Anonymous