[rescue] SS1000E CPU question...

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sat Apr 30 13:01:30 CDT 2005

On Saturday 30 April 2005 12:24, Mike Hebel wrote:
> When they say two CPU "modules" per board do they mean two SM51/61/71
> boards or one of the dual-cpu style cards?

Two separate MBUS modules (like the SM51).  As far as Sun is concerned,
you can't use double-CPU modules, or Hypersparcs in an SS[12]000(E).
That mostly has to do with its use of the XDBUS; the bus presented to
the CPU isn't MBUS, but it's handled just fine by Sun CPUs that have an
MXCC on them.

That being said, I've never tried something like an SM512; it might
work. And. if it does, it'll probably end up creating too much heat.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/
The Computer Refuge               ---  http://computer-refuge.org