pkgsrc (was: Re: [rescue] i'm in love)

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Fri Apr 29 01:51:28 CDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:16:20PM -0700, Devin L. Ganger wrote:
> That works fine until the pkgsrc system decides that it wants to compile
> its own versions of utilities you already installed, and those utilities
> crash on compile. The lack of documentation on actually using pkgsrc is
> truly stunning.

I quite like using pkgsrc on Solaris - my results have been pretty
successful. Agreee with you re: compiling its own versions of utilities I
already have - it's rather irritating to have a mix of SFW stuff and pkgsrc
on the same machine (and multiple sets of GNOME libraries, etc).

pkgsrc is not perfect, but it's much preferable to rolling my own packages. I
also like having one package system that can be used on multiple OSs
(haven't yet tried it on IRIX tho').

What kind of documentation do you find lacking? The NetBSD tech-pkg@ list
as well as http://www.pkgsrc.org are pretty useful.

-mj