[rescue] Re: \[rescue\] i\'m in love

Steve Jones smj0501 at crash.com
Thu Apr 28 18:25:57 CDT 2005

>> swap                   3.4G   800K   3.4G     1%    /etc/svc/volatile
>> swap                   3.4G   176K   3.4G     1%    /tmp
>> swap                   3.4G    40K   3.4G     1%    /var/run
>
> Haven't the Solaris developers heard of symlinks?

Huh? These are tmpfs filesystems, and this seems to me like a fine
and appropriate use.

My problem with this scenario is that they've never limited the size
of these tmpfs filesystems out of the box. There's no reason to give
a runaway process the opportunity to exhaust VM by writing a huge
garbage file to /tmp, for example. And there's no reason for /var/run
to be more than a few dozen megabytes, is there?

Just poking an old gripe with a stick...

--Steve.