[rescue] decisions, decisions

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu Apr 28 10:29:38 CDT 2005

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:30:43AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>Heh.  ;)  I've heard it cited that PHP is the most common single
>>compromise route for Apache servers.  I've never understood the point of
>>PHP, frankly -- it doesn't seem to do anything that cannot be done with
>>equal facility in Perl.
>
> Does perl let you stick the code in html in <?php ?> blocks?  That seems
> to be part of it's popularity.

I'm sure you're right.  It allows quickly and easily bodging things
together ....   but then you have a quick, easy bodge, with all that
entails.

You can't directly do the same thing with Perl, though I have a number
of places where I use the output of Perl CGI-lets via SSI includes.

>  Though, that doesn't seem to be a very
> scalable way to do heavy development to me.

Agreed.

--
 Phil Stracchino
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net