[rescue] decisions, decisions

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Apr 28 09:55:42 CDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:30:43AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Peter Corlett wrote:
> > My take on OSes and hardware is that you should make the most
> > appropriate match:
> >
> > SPARC: Solaris
> > x86: Debian
> > PPC: OSX
> > m68k: whatever it came with (AmigaOS or MacOS 7 in the case of my pile)
>
> I would merely question the specification of Debian as "most
> appropriate" for x86 hardware.  Linux, sure; but which distribution will
> be best depends what you're going to do with it.  There's applications
> for which Debian is the best Linux choice.  There's also many others for
> which it isn't.  (Debian is great if you want stability and don't care
> about being up-to-date, but poor if you need to be on the bleeding edge,
> for example.)

To fan the flames, I rather like Ubuntu.  It just worked on my P3 system
when Debian and RH would crash and burn during installation.  Plus, with
Ubuntu, I don't have to spend as many weeks trying to get updates from
stable over a 26.4k connection.

> Heh.  ;)  I've heard it cited that PHP is the most common single
> compromise route for Apache servers.  I've never understood the point of
> PHP, frankly -- it doesn't seem to do anything that cannot be done with
> equal facility in Perl.

Does perl let you stick the code in html in <?php ?> blocks?  That seems
to be part of it's popularity.  Though, that doesn't seem to be a very
scalable way to do heavy development to me.  But, my only experience
with PHP is editing other peoples packages to run on my server.  I think
to other languages than PHP/perl for web app development when I need to
do it.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net