[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Wed Apr 27 13:33:47 CDT 2005

>"Just"?  That's the HARD part.
>
>"If you make people think that they are thinking, they will love you.
>But if you make them really think, they will hate you."

You may lead a child to knowledge but you cannot make him think.

(probably Bob Heinlein, but I'm not sure)

"No, No.  You're not thinking, you're just being logical."  (IIRC, Niels Bohr)

I just spent half an hour, with a typical student:  "If I don't get this
stuff turned in, I won't graduate in two weeks." and then, "Backups?
What's backups?"

The required activity to get this idiot on his way, as you might suspect,
was to disassemble another old micro-floppy (3.5) I had lying around and
discard the media inside, disassemble the idiot-child's floppy, literally
WASH then dry the media from it, and insert the freshly-scrubbed disk into
the first (emptied) case.  Then a sector-capture utility and lots of
patience later, voila', butt-head has the text of his documents back, go
home, ten minute lecture on duplicating/backing up, to avoid this again.
He'll be back, I have no doubt.

--
wes will
It's a living.  Sort of.