[rescue] When is 100 less than 10?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Apr 27 02:52:07 CDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:05:47 -0700
"Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at tandem.artell.net> wrote:

>  There's a board, some bulkhead connectors, and an external box that
>  says "FDDI Dual Ring".
FDDI is (was) a high end, high speed 100 MBit/s network technology. It
has nothing in common with Ethernet. (Token passing based media access,
larger MTU, much longer cables, redundant ring topology, ...) You can
expect much higher speeds from FDDI compared to a bad Fast Ethernet
implementation. (And the vfe seems to be bad.) Especially the SGI FDDI
cards to do a real good job.

> Is this something I should investigate, or was it just another way to
> separate SGI customers from their money?
FDDI is interresting when you wane play with a not-Ethernet network
technology. I run a FDDI ring for the fun of it. FDDI equipment is cheap
on ePay these days...
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen