[rescue] [OT] CDROM and other repairs (was: prioblems

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Wed Apr 27 01:07:26 CDT 2005

"Lionel Peterson" <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> It doesn't take much of my time to make it more efficient to just
> replace a bad drive, since I have them on-hand. I think it's great to
> fix broken things (I even have broken TVs repaired), but time does =
> money in most cases

I've heard that phrase often, but obviously haven't experienced the fact
itself, as I'm still at university. I can only hope it's not that bad. I
don't know how long I could stand it.

> , and if a part is truely worn on a 5-7 year old optical drive, where
> will I get the replacement part, except another identical drive? Kill
> one drive to save another?

That makes zero sense, except if you have an identical drive with other
important parts (say pickup) failed from where you can rip the parts you
need. That said, if it's not a totally custom part (say casting), you can
often either find a zero-cost source for a compatible part, or even (if it's
not too difficult and you have the right tools) make a replacement. Yes,
I've repaired the tabulator retarder gear on a Triumph-Adler mechanical
typewriter with a cogwheel taken from a defunct VHS cassette deck.

> Add the words "within reason" and I'm right there with you - realizing
> that what I can reason my way to fixing may be different than you...

Fully agreed. It may well all be a matter of how much time you have on your
hands...

Cheers,

--
Arno Kletzander
Stud. Hilfskraft Informatik Sammlung Erlangen

+++ GMX - die erste Adresse f|r Mail, Message, More +++

10 GB Mailbox, 100 FreeSMS  http://www.gmx.net/de/go/topmail