[rescue] Anybody want these beige macs?

Jeffrey Nonken jjn_rescue at nonken.net
Fri Apr 15 09:41:57 CDT 2005

At 09:49 AM 4/15/2005, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>First, you can try the lem-swap list (sign up via link on
>lowendmac.com).  You'd be amazed - people on that list are still
>buying non-PPC powerbooks.

Probably a good idea. I did find a local Mac club list or two in the
meantime, we'll see what fish bite there. Thought I'd give first crack to
the people I know and love. ;)

>Last time I shipped one of those (a 5200/75 actually) it was about $25
>via USPS.  Maybe they upped their rates though.

Assuming a shipping weight of 49 lbs 8 oz, and given a box big enough to
have a reasonable amount of packing, USPS Parcel Post will be about $45. I
would ship the keyboard, mouse, and any parts I had to pull (to keep the
weight down) in a separate box. I figured that would be around $5, plus or
minus. I did run the calculations on the USPS web site. (I've been selling
stuff on eBay, so I've got practice doing this. :) UPS is more expensive.

>You can take out the motherboards and ship them around to people that
>have the 5200/75 systems - a simple motherboard swap makes the system
>much much faster.

Yup, which is an alternative I'm willing to consider, even though it means
trying to find a way to dispose of the monitors. Local trash pick up won't
touch 'em and the nearest electronics disposal is an inconvenient drive
from here. And will want money.

>Or try the Philadelphia craisglist.org site.

Thought I'd ping here first, but I've got 'em on my list. Thanks for the
reminder tho.

>Having said all that, no doubt some rescue'er in the area has already
>contacted you about taking them :-)

Heh. Not yet, but I hope soon.

They are cool little machines and you can run *nix on 'em. Be great for a
low-power server or firewall or something. Or kids playing games and
cruising the 'net, or Grandma getting her email. You can put OS 9 on 'em,
though you might want to max out the memory for that.

I know for a fact that Freddie Fish 1-5 and the Little Critter games will
play on these. :)

I've gotten interest from CA and FL and IL, all of which unfortunately mean
either shlepping them with me when I hit the road or incredible shipping
costs. *sigh*