[rescue] Anybody want these beige macs?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Fri Apr 15 08:49:48 CDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 09:28:28AM -0400, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:
> As I recall this list is not just for Sun computers. I hope that's still
> true.
>
> I've got a couple 5400/200 Power Macintoshes that I'm trying to move. Or
> rather, trying to not move, as there won't be much room to spare in the
> truck. I just hate to throw them away, they're nice little machines. I
> wouldn't mind a couple bux for 'em but I just want to find them a good home.

First, you can try the lem-swap list (sign up via link on
lowendmac.com).  You'd be amazed - people on that list are still
buying non-PPC powerbooks.

Last time I shipped one of those (a 5200/75 actually) it was about $25
via USPS.  Maybe they upped their rates though.

> Both machines come with mouse, keyboard, 200 MHz 603ev processor, 72 meg of
> RAM, integrated monitor, integrated CDROM and floppy drives, and a 10 mbps
> ethernet card in the option slot. There is also an empty PCI slot. They
> take standard IDE drives so upgrade should be simple. The original
> Springfield Middle School inventory numbers are visible on the cases (not
> shown in the pictures).

You can take out the motherboards and ship them around to people that
have the 5200/75 systems - a simple motherboard swap makes the system
much much faster.

> I live in Wyndmoor, near NW Philly, Chestnut Hill area, just off 309 at
> Paper Mill Rd, a few miles from the Ft. Washington turnpike exit.

Or try the Philadelphia craisglist.org site.

Having said all that, no doubt some rescue'er in the area has already
contacted you about taking them :-)

Cordially

--Patrick