[rescue] Sun's new policy sucks...

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Mon Apr 11 22:30:26 CDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 10:31:25PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > As much as I like solaris, the interactive installer is balls. It
> > takes forever to get a machine running.
>
> ...and that's when it works.
>
> The x86 installer is a complete fiasco.  I thought 10 was going to be
> better.

The only useful installer is the one that is text mode all the way
through.  Even then it sucks compared to say Debian 3.0's installer
(which is what, 3 years old at this point)?

> Why can't a company like Sun make an installer that can compete with
> the ones people do for free?

Because everyone at Sun uses Jumpstart, that is my guess.

I remember when I was using OS/2 - every single release, you would
have to disable your L2 cache in the BIOS if you wanted the thing to
install; you could turn the L2 on later.

Know why?  Because most IBM systems that the programmers used, did not
have L2 cache, and thus, when they tested the installer they did not
see the problem.

My suggestion: they should give every employee a dual-proc Ultra 2,
and force them to set it up for their parents' use at home.

--Patrick