[rescue] DEC VAXstation 3100

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Oct 3 00:25:55 CDT 2004

At work I took the cover off a VAX 3100 I've thought of rescuing before
it is sent off to the dump.

I need to test the system before taking it home, and then I have to
remove the drives.

Anyway, this thing is built like a tank, which I expected, and has a
straight-shot airflow.

The unit was built some time in 1991, and both of the power supply fans
are still perfect.  Lot's of air, and they are nearly silent.

It's just nice to see something that was built to last.

Outside of some metal corrosion (it was in a shipyard for 13 years after
all), it looks OK so far.

The SCSI board goes to the drives and to an external centronics SCSI
port.  The same board also goes to a pair of large 3-row DB connectors.

Right now I can't find information on a unit exactly like this one, so
does anyone have any idea what those connectors are?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [4649 5920 4320 204e 4452 5420 5348 5920 4820
2056 2054 434d 2048 4d54 2045 204e 5259 4820 444e 0a53]