[rescue] DC Voltage distro (Was:SGI Challenge L... )

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Oct 2 16:10:08 CDT 2004

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 @ 16:11 -0400, james said:

> > > I lived most of my life in 60A houses. There's just no need for more if
> > > you are living a modest life. I have 200A now, but only because the
> > > house was built with electric hot water (now fired by the heating
> > > boiler). My PA house is 1500sf and 60A, complete with a few rooms of AC
> > > and 8 computers running full time. I have never blown a main fuse.
> >
> > 60 amps @ 220? Thats like 120 amp service in the US.
>
> Dude, in the US it IS 220V @ 60A. Just cause your outlet has 110V
> doesn't mean that 110V is what's delivered at the street.

That's not universal though.  I've seen the amperage vary, and there are
*still* homes out there that don't even have 220V.

My grandmother had to request 220V the first time she got a dryer.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There is no such thing as security.  Life
is either bold adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"]