[rescue] SGI Challenge L systems available in Denver

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Sat Oct 2 14:47:49 CDT 2004

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:00:31 -0400
  Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 04:58, Francisco Javier
>Mesa-Martinez wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:20:14 -0400
>>   Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

>> > No, technically it is far too cool to be anything but
>> >yellow star, and
>> > too big to be a dwarf.
>>
>> Again, technically our sun (sol) is a G2V start, in case
>
> ...which is what I said, and doesn't contradict my
>statement that the
> Sun is too big and cool to be anything but a yellow
>star.
>
> I didn't make a typo though: "dwarf" above should have
>been "white
> dwarf".  I pointed that out because when you saw dwarf,
>most people are
> really thinking of either class A stars, or a real white
>dwarf.  Our Sun
> is neither.
>
> Sorry about that.

Why do you apologize? Afterall you didn't make a typo...

>> you are unaware of what that means, The G is for the
>> yellow and the V is for dwarf. The G2 is for the upper
>> yellow toward the white, if the sun were 6500K as you
>> pointed out, then it would be in the F category, i.e.
>> blue. The upper white-yellow value is 6000K btw.
>
> No, it isn't.  The chart goes like this:
>
> 	G		5000-6000K
> 	F		6000-7500K
> 	A		7500-11000K
>
> The F class is what they call an in-between star, and is
>less yellow
> than our Sun, but still definitely yellow and classed as
>such.

What classification are you following? G is the "yellow to
white" band, and F is the "white to blue" band, at least
according to the Hardvard classification.

>> Yellow
>> darwfs are small main sequence stars... our sun happens
>> be a small yellow main sequence star. Sorry to burst
>>your
>> bubble, but we've been orbiting around an insignificant
>> dwarf all this time.
>
> I don't have a bubble to burst, but thanks for playing.

Sorry I can not read minds, but if I read a statement in
which someone says that our sun is not a dwarf, what was I
supposed to make out of that?