[rescue] SGI Challenge L systems available in Denver

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Oct 2 12:00:31 CDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 04:58, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:20:14 -0400
>   Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> > Thu, 30 Sep 2004 @ 15:12 -0700, Francisco Javier
> >Mesa-Martinez said:
>
> >> Technically the sun is a yellow-white dwarf G2V.
> >
> > No, technically it is far too cool to be anything but a
> >yellow star, and
> > too big to be a dwarf.
>
> Again, technically our sun (sol) is a G2V start, in case

...which is what I said, and doesn't contradict my statement that the
Sun is too big and cool to be anything but a yellow star.

I didn't make a typo though: "dwarf" above should have been "white
dwarf".  I pointed that out because when you saw dwarf, most people are
really thinking of either class A stars, or a real white dwarf.  Our Sun
is neither.

Sorry about that.

> you are unaware of what that means, The G is for the
> yellow and the V is for dwarf. The G2 is for the upper
> yellow toward the white, if the sun were 6500K as you
> pointed out, then it would be in the F category, i.e.
> blue. The upper white-yellow value is 6000K btw.

No, it isn't.  The chart goes like this:

	G		5000-6000K
	F		6000-7500K
	A		7500-11000K

The F class is what they call an in-between star, and is less yellow
than our Sun, but still definitely yellow and classed as such.

> Yellow
> darwfs are small main sequence stars... our sun happens to
> be a small yellow main sequence star. Sorry to burst your
> bubble, but we've been orbiting around an insignificant
> dwarf all this time.

I don't have a bubble to burst, but thanks for playing.