[rescue] Wanted: SS2 NVRAM

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Wed Nov 24 14:57:38 CST 2004

> From: Michael-John Turner <mj at turner.org.za>
>
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 03:58:32PM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> > You know that you can attach a new battery to the old NVRAM? I've done
> > this several times for various sun4c machines.
>
> Yep, I know, but I'm a bit wary of doing it because whenver I have to
> resort to using tools I normally break something :)  Re-reading the
> NVRAM/hostid FAQ now it seems easier than I remember - think I'll
> get myself a 3V Lithium battery and give it a try over the weekend.
>
> Any tips you could perhaps share on the exercise?

on some of the original NVRAM packages it's easier to apply your soldering
iron tip to the epoxy over the connections which will degrade the stuff,
not actually melt it, and then use a knife or small screwdriver to move a
thin layer off, and then repeat until you burn thru enough layers for your
connection points.  on other ones, you can just use a knife blade directly
on the epoxy.

the other issue is that the replacement lithium cell is very difficult to
solder onto since it's stainless steel.   i've been able to find the cell
holders in an electronics store or take one off a scrap intel motherboard
and solder to the holder avoiding having to solder to the stainless steel.

-ron