[rescue] New(old) scanner

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Wed Nov 24 13:50:35 CST 2004

On Wednesday, November 24, 2004, at 01:45 PM, Mike Parson wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 02:30:25PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Hey folks,
>> I've just been given a UMAX narrow-SCSI flatbed scanner as part of
>> some hardware trading.
>>
>> I don't have an external narrow-SCSI port on babylon5, nor a SCSI
>> wide-to-narrow adapter, nor an extra PCI narrow-SCSI controller.  I
>> do, however, have a Sparcstation LX with narrow SCSI, running OpenBSD.
>>
>> Does anyone know a way I could connect the scanner to the LX and share
>> it to other *nix machines over the network?
>
> Once upon a time, I remember seeing a project that gave you a web
> front-end to your scanner.  Used cgi or something to run the scanner,
> then the resulting image would just be pushed back to you over your
> browser.  That would probably fill this need.  Unfortunately, I don't
> remember anything more about it, feeding the proper search terms into
> freshmeat or google might be required.  Otherwise, some twiddling with
> sane-backends and some shell/perl scripting might give you similar
> results.

He could put it on a Mac but I don't think that is what he had in mind:

http://www.umax.co.uk/support/technotes/n004B.htm

Bingo!  Sane does it again:

https://www-s.acm.uiuc.edu/wiki/space/Setting+up+saned+scanner+sharing

Not sure how well it works but it's a start.

Mike Hebel
----
"I think we used too much!" - Chris Knight