[rescue] New(old) scanner

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed Nov 24 13:45:36 CST 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 02:30:25PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Hey folks,
> I've just been given a UMAX narrow-SCSI flatbed scanner as part of
> some hardware trading.
>
> I don't have an external narrow-SCSI port on babylon5, nor a SCSI
> wide-to-narrow adapter, nor an extra PCI narrow-SCSI controller.  I
> do, however, have a Sparcstation LX with narrow SCSI, running OpenBSD.
>
> Does anyone know a way I could connect the scanner to the LX and share
> it to other *nix machines over the network?

Once upon a time, I remember seeing a project that gave you a web
front-end to your scanner.  Used cgi or something to run the scanner,
then the resulting image would just be pushed back to you over your
browser.  That would probably fill this need.  Unfortunately, I don't
remember anything more about it, feeding the proper search terms into
freshmeat or google might be required.  Otherwise, some twiddling with
sane-backends and some shell/perl scripting might give you similar
results.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org