[rescue] Looking for IRIX and advice

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Nov 20 17:30:38 CST 2004

Steve Hatle writes ...

> For better or worse, I'm now the owner of an Origin 2000 Rack
> system :-) 10x250Mhz and 4 GB of RAM.

Alllll RIGHT!

> Before I can apply the smoke test, I need to rig up 220V
> service. I think I can manage that in a few days.

If you have an electric clothes dryer, some hackery with a heavy-duty
extension cord and some stuff from the hardware store will work, most
probably.  I wouldn't run it that way unattended until you get some idea of
the load, etc., since the dryer outlet is probably 50 Amps, and the
extension cord will melt before the breaker pops.  It'll probably void your
insurance if it starts a fire, etc.  Still, I ran a 220V espresso machine
that way for a year with no problems.

> But to get the machine to run, I need to locate appropriate
> IRIX. Seems that anything 6.5.x should be OK from what I can find online.

You need a set of "base install disks" for 6.5.0, then overlays for
something more recent.  Current is 6.5.25, I think.

> I'll check eBay, but would also consider a deal hear if someone has
> something suitable available for cash or trade.

Old overlay versions are cheap on eBay, but the base install disks usually
aren't.

Using `inst` to install the base stuff is tedious and arcane.  Once you get
that done, though, and X working, you can install the patches and overlays
with the Software Manager GUI app, which is pretty good.

Also, join the SGI lists at sgihelp.org.  I don't know that there are many
folks there that aren't here, but there might be some.

Never mention buying IRIX CDs on the SGI newsgroups, lest you be flamed to a
crisp.

-Shel