[rescue] IBM Series/1 4956

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Fri Nov 19 04:52:17 CST 2004

Meelis Roos wrote:
> Does anyone remember what was IBM Series/1? What architecture, what OS,

The series 1 was the replacement for the 1800 and 1130. It was a 16 bit
minicomputer designed for realtime applications. Similar to the PDP/11
in marketing, but nothing like it in design.

It's big endian and from what I remember having to program one in 1980
was that going from IBM mainframe assembly language (BAL) to Series 1
assembly took less than a day.

I don't remember how we programed it, I think it was writing source code
using TSO and then somehow transfering to the series 1 for assembly.

Unfortunately I have not seen one since then.

Geoff.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem Israel gsm at mendelson.com
IL Voice: 972-544-608-069  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
I may be an old fart, but I'm a high-tech, up to date old fart. :-)