[rescue] Cups on Solaris

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Nov 18 09:09:57 CST 2004

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 05:51:49PM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> no. I downloaded it from  the official website and compiled it with gcc 3.4
> You also need to get the latest version of Ghostscript, hpijs and
> foomatic-gswraper, foomatic rip and the foomatic ppd from the
> linuxprinting.org.
>
> ghostscript also has some libraries it needs, such as png, zlib, jpeg.
>
> If the printer is on a windows machine, you need to get the smbspool module
> from the samba distribution.
>
> The trick is to compile it from scratch, put it in /usr/local (make sure
> to update the default library search path) and use a relativly sane
> cupsd.conf.
> (i.e. not the redhat sample).
>
> I'd gladly share my cupsd.conf file, I'll post it seperately.

OK, I've been working through following your advice.  At this point I
have GNU Ghostscript 8.01, hpijs and cups 1.1.something installed.
However, I decided to try installing to /opt/cups-stuff rather than let
it become mingled with the large amount of sunfreeware stuff in
/usr/local.

I'm not sure what role the foomatic stuff plays, but I'll install it as
well anyway.

Err, I would appreciate your cups.conf file though.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/