[rescue] Cups on Solaris

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Nov 8 15:34:09 CST 2004

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 05:51:49PM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > Is anyone using CUPS on solaris?  Where did you get it from?  Sun's
> > Software Companion?
>
> no. I downloaded it from  the official website and compiled it with gcc 3.4
> You also need to get the latest version of Ghostscript, hpijs and
> foomatic-gswraper, foomatic rip and the foomatic ppd from the
> linuxprinting.org.
>
> The trick is to compile it from scratch, put it in /usr/local (make sure
> to update the default library search path) and use a relativly sane cupsd.conf.
> (i.e. not the redhat sample).

First, I take it you are actually using the hpijs stuff to drive an HP
printer then?

Second, do the CUP wizards just work without extra tweaking one all the
packages are installed in the same place?

I'm putting together the pieces to do a complete source install, but one
of the things I'm working about is why I haven't been able to get eps-gs
and hpijs to spit out stuff to the printer manually.

One thing I may be running into is that hpijs supports my printer (a new
HP 1200D), and has the ppd file bundled, but it appears that support
hasn't yet been added to foomatic.  At least, it doesn't show up in the
list on their web site.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net