[rescue] Re: scrap sparcbook

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Thu Nov 4 14:48:55 CST 2004

>>> To be honest, I've only used it on completely open networks, no WEP,
>>> yet.  I just got a Linksys WRT54G (yes, I've put the sveasoft flash
>>> on it) for home, but I've got wireless turned off on it right now.
>>> I'll play with it more this weekend, I'll report back with what works
>>> and what doesn't.
>>
>> That would be much appreciated as the WGA11B is small and honestly
>> could be battery powered if it tried.  It's a good solution for
>> non-pcmcia system like my old RDI Powerlite or my iMac mod project.
>
> A friend of mine is (kinda) working on doing this with his old
> Powerbook Duo and one of the small docks that has ether and scsi with a
> lot of empty space in it.  Not batter-powered, but have a single,
> self-contained wireless doc for his PB.

If you were willing to do away with the second battery in the old
Powerbook 500s you could easily put the WGA11B and a dongle in there with
internal wiring to the back of the AAUI port.  Taking both the transceiver
dongle and the WGA11B apart should allow them to fit.  I can't imagine
getting the right voltage would be hard either.  Hmm...that's worth
spending $70 to try...

Now what this would do to your battery time I don't know.  But then 500s
were never that good on battery time unless you refurbed the batteries
anyway.

Hey!  There's and idea!  Fit it all into an empty smart-battery casing and
add some sort of molex for the ethernet wiring.

Mike
----
"I think we used too much!" - Chris Knight