[rescue] For Free: Challenge XL chassis (Southeastern Va)

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Tue Nov 2 12:07:48 CST 2004

> At this point in my life though, it doesn't make sense to buy it, only
> to stick it in storage for who knows how long.
> I keep praying that these sorts of machines will still be available in
> another year or two when I plan to have a house instead of an apartment.

I don't ever remember the power draw from them being that bad, they use a
30 amp 220 connector, but are basically two Challenge L power supplies.

Heat wasn't that bad, but I had them in a garage when it was cooler
outside. I didn't notice the room heating up. They didn't seem to crank
heat like a Alphaserver or Sun box. Maybe because the air vent on the top
is so large.

I've had 3 Onyxs (still have one), 4 Challenge L's (gave them all away),
the 2 XLs I bought from a guy in Blacksburg, an Origin 2000, the Crays, a
AS/400. I had a large alphaserver but traded it for a G4 Mac (My only OS X
box). I plan to keep 1 Cray, and the Origin 2000. My little office is jam
packed with stuff, need to move some of it out and pay some bills.

I want to return the origin to online status, and hopefully play with the
Cray. Not sure if there is enough power and air conditioning.

--
: www.757tech.com  757 Technologies  (757)233-9460