[rescue] FrameMaker FYI

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Tue Mar 30 09:52:38 CST 2004

Andrew Weiss wrote:

> I also said to me that I personally consider it like if UNIX/VMS/etc.
> are like riding a motorcycle, then Windows is like being able
> to ride a bike with training wheels. It's pretty darn near impossible
> to not know Windows.

   I always start by saying, "I don't know much about Windows, but
perhaps we can both take a look -- a fresh set of eyes may find
something obvious, aside from the fact that Windows sucks."
   That way, I get in my disclaimer (and can bail out later if it's a
real ugly mess), and build a little solidarity with the user when we
agree that Windows, well, sucks. :7)

> The point is that I learned most of my advanced level support
> skills on the [Windows] OS within a few days of just plugging away
> until I fixed stuff. It works for that platform.

   That, indeed, is one of the nice things about the lowest common
denominator: you can often Braille your way through it if you know what
you're looking for. Not always, but often.
   I visited my parents in January, and took a look at my mom's PC.
Though my egg-head brother had "spent hours" on it, I think he was just
changing the screen saver and stuff. I made it fax again by changing the
port assigned to the Fax software, and then changing it back. (She
hadn't sent a fax from it in a couple o fyears!) I made her personal
data in a genealogy program print by just clicking tabs until I found
the flag in her record -- three or four layers deep -- that said
"Supress printing."
  Of course, I told her to buy a Mac in 1997, but what do I know? I'm
just her kid. :7)
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt